Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Screening: Rev. deBenneville

2 posters

Go down

Screening: Rev. deBenneville Empty Screening: Rev. deBenneville

Post  Seth Ruggeri Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 am

“Another round of drinks fer me an my friends wench!”

Colette Sullivan turns to the patron with a smile forcefully affixed across her face and replies, “Comin right up.” She turns and heads for the counter muttering obscenities under her breath as she walks.

“God what an ass! Comes in here acting as if he’s all-important, harassing everybody else. Drunk off his ass to boot. Where the hell does he get off calling me a wench? I’m no saint, but still…”

Colette grabs three mugs and fills each one to the brim with beer. She looks at the mugs with a considerable amount of thought. Something was missing, something important.

“Silly me, I almost forgot the most important part.”

With a wry grin, she clears her throat and spits into one of the mugs.

“Perfect.”

Colette walks over to the table and sets down each mug. The leader of the bunch ogles Colette as she places the drinks on the table. As she turns to leave, the man, who at this point is well beyond the point of inebriation, grabs her by the arm.

“What’s tha rush lady? Why dontcha have a seat with us? Maybe ya can entertain me an my friends while yer at it.”

Before she can respond, a new patron passes through the saloon doors. The new patron sports a black suit and a head of unruly black hair. Colette frees herself from the drunken patron’s grip with minimal effort. She walks a few steps from the table and gives the man her ultimatum.

“Sorry, maybe some other time. Enjoy your drinks fellas.”

Colette advances towards the newest arrival. “Sure hope this one’s a little more civilized than those other yahoos.” She greets the man at the door and with the same smile plastered across her face as before.

“Good afternoon sir. Care for a drink?”
Seth Ruggeri
Seth Ruggeri
Phantom of the Badlands

Back to top Go down

Screening: Rev. deBenneville Empty Re: Screening: Rev. deBenneville

Post  Rev. deBenneville Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

The Reverend stared past Colette for three long seconds, his eyes unfocused. Then a smile broke out on his face.

“Well miss, if you have any wine I would like a cup. Otherwise, just bring me water and something to eat. I’ve been travelling from the north, spreading God’s Word. His work fulfills the spirit, but the flesh has been left parched and famished.”

Not waiting for her reply, the Reverend walks over to the table Colete just served. He pulls up a chair and sits down, ignoring the looks he receives.

“Good afternoon sirs. Tell me, are you men of faith?”

Rev. deBenneville

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ruggeri Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 pm

“Great, another weirdo.”

Colette makes her way over to the bar once more and rummages through the cabinets in search of a bottle of wine. When was the last time anyone had come in here and asked for wine? After a minute or two of searching, Colette finds a bottle of wine in the dark recesses of one of the cabinets. The bottle is layered thick with dust and cobwebs, hidden amongst a sea of whiskey and beer bottles.

“Well, at least it’s aged.”

Colette pours the ancient liquid into a clean mug, its rosy hue and sweet smell a welcome reprieve from the stench of whiskey that typically permeates the air. She looks over at the table where the most recent patron has chosen to sit. The three drunkards who heckled Colette earlier where now exchanging awkward glances and slurred words with the newest arrival to their table.

“What are you fella, some kind a father er something?”

The leader of the trio leans in closer to the Reverend, and continues to give him a thorough, albeit hazy and blurred, once over. The man laughs a few times, his cohorts joining in the chorus briefly. He brings his face closer to the Reverend, leaving only a foot or so between them. The drunkard gives his ultimatum to the man of God, his stale and poignant breath fouling the air between them.

“So ya want to know if I’m a man a faith right? Well preacher man, let me tell ya, the only faith I got is faith in yers truly. Out here, its every man fer himself and ain’t nobody got yer back, specially not some invisible man in tha sky.”

The man leans back into his seat once more, his companions echoing in slurred accordance to his response. Colette arrives at the table with the Reverend’s drink. She looks at the glass’s recipient for a moment. His eyes are fixated on the leader of the drunken trio, seething with an unnatural rage. Thinking it best not to disturb the group, Colette places the drink in front of the Reverend and gives only a quick smile of confirmation. Her task now complete, she turns and leaves the table.

Colette stands behind the bar and grabs an empty mug. She reaches for the recently excavated bottle of wine and pours herself a full glass. There’s something odd about the man, some kind of unnatural air about him that she finds unsettling. She takes a deep swig from the mug and watches the conversation between the four men continue to unfold.
Seth Ruggeri
Seth Ruggeri
Phantom of the Badlands

Back to top Go down

Post  Rev. deBenneville Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:10 pm

deBenneville took a sip of wine without breaking eye contact with the leader. He took his time in swallowing the sip, savoring the taste. It had been a long time since he’d had acceptable wine, let alone anything worth noting. His smile had vanished with the leader’s comment, but a small twinkle of joy returned with the taste of good wine. Then he shook his head, mumbling.

“ ‘A preacher must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not gluttonous with wine, not given to filthy lucre’…Son, it isn’t proper for me to let myself be ruled by anger, so I will ignore that comment for the moment. But we are all sinful creatures, and all need to be redeemed in the eyes of the Lord. By your look you need a great deal of redemption. Men such as yourself feel entitled to good fortune from the Lord without first giving of yourself. You grow bitter when he doesn’t coddle you and gives you a chance to better yourself. You sidestep his tests and view yourself as a victim. I’ll let you think on that a moment.”

The Reverend ignored the glares and growls from the trio he had just antagonized. He proceeded to drink down the entire cup of wine at once. He never gulped or rushed, drinking his fill at a steady pace. As he placed the empty cup down on the counter, the leader began to stand.

“Don’t get up son, I’m leaving your table. I just thought it a waste to not savor such good wine.”

With that, he stood and nodded to the leader, who had stopped in a half crouch. The Reverend smiled. It was a cold smile.

“ ‘RETURN, YE BACKSLIDING…”

He was standing on the table.

“…CHILDREN, AND I WILL…”

His foot had found the leader’s jaw.

“…HEAL YOUR BACKLSIDINGS.”

His chair had been in his right hand, and was now breaking over the head of the man sitting to his right.

“BEHOLD, WE COME UNTO…’ ”

He turned to deal with the leftmost of the trio, but was too slow. The third lout’s gun was out, and he was able to take a shot. The Reverend fell off the table with a hole in his abdomen. His eyes were wide with shock and pain. He clutched the wound and began to mutter to himself, grimacing in pain as he did so.

Rev. deBenneville

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ruggeri Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:24 pm

“Shit.”

Colette tosses her glass aside and ducks behind the counter. The room was now in full panic as the salon patrons began to rush out of the room with newfound fervor. Colette begins to search the cabinets and cupboards below the counter once more.

“Where is it, where is it…”

Casting numerous empty bottles, steins, and mugs aside, the object for which she so desperately searches at last makes its presence clear. Like any respectable businessman in this part of town, the proprietor of the saloon made sure to keep a gun handy for emergencies. With two men unconscious on the floor, one drunkard with a loaded gun, and a priest with a rapidly bleeding wound currently occupying the room, Colette feels justified in classifying the situation as an emergency. The weapon in question is a sawed off shotgun, and by the wear and tear of both the barrel and the stock it’s clear that the gun has seen its fair share of action in the past. The gun now in hand, Colette peers over the countertop to assess the situation. The remaining drunk with the gun slowly staggers his way over to the fallen figure of the old priest. His back currently faces the counter behind which Colette currently resides.

“Better make this quick.”

Colette rises from her hiding place, shotgun aimed at the inebriated target.

“Don’t move asshole. One more step and I’ll make a stump out of that ugly mug you call a head!”

Paying no heed, to the warning, the man turns to face Colette. He raises his gun and takes aim at his newest assailant.

“Well that’s mighty unkind of ya. Threaten’n a payin customer like that. I guess that’s the kinda service I should expect from a filthy whore. I oughta just take you out back an…”

Before the drunk can finish, Colette fires a shot. While it misses her proclaimed target, the force of the blast knocks the man off his feet and onto the ground in a spray of blood. Colette walks around the counter and over to the body of the priest.

“Hey old man, you okay? Hey! Say something!”

Last edited by Seth Ruggeri on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Seth Ruggeri
Seth Ruggeri
Phantom of the Badlands

Back to top Go down

Post  Rev. deBenneville Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

The Reverend turned his face towards Colette, his eyes struggling to focus on her. AS his mumblings rose to nearly audible levels, there was a brief flicker of inhuman light from behind his eyes. deBenneville cried out in pain and was still. Calmly, he rose to his feet and steadied himself against a chair.

“I beg your pardon Miss. I had no desire to mess your floor with my blood, nor frighten your other godly customers . I…I just…‘For the violence of Lebanon shall overwhelm thee, and the spoil of beasts, which make men afraid, because of men’s blood.’ “

The shooter tried to rise, and was put back down by a swift kick to the ribs from deBenneville. The Reverend then paused to gather his composure.

“Better take a look at these fellows. Don’t want them endangering anyone else. Let us beat their spears into pruning hooks.”

He circled the table, gathering all their guns and knives. The guns were emptied of their shells, which were thrown into a nearby slop bucket. The weapons were laid upon the bar such that their handles were facing away from the customer’s areas.

"Well Miss, you can have these weapons. I hope you have no need to use them, but selling them may help cover the costs to clean this place up. Now, do you have anything to say to help me judge this man?"

The Reverend nudged the shooter to indicate to whom he had referred.

Rev. deBenneville

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ruggeri Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Colette looks at the unconscious body of shooter with extreme revulsion.

“I’m sorry father, but I’ve got nothing to say about this piece of gutter trash.”

As she takes a seat behind the counter once more, she shifts her focus to the Reverend. Only minutes ago, the man was on the floor with a hole in his stomach bleeding on the floor and yet now, he was up and about showing little to no sign of pain or worry about his own condition.

“Pardon me father, but are you sure you’re alright?”

As she waits for the holy man’s response, Colette pulls out two clean glasses and pours the remaining contents of the bottle of wine into each glass. She picks up a glass and places it at the other end of the counter near the Reverend.

“Here, drink up. It’ll help take the edge off.”

Last edited by Seth Ruggeri on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seth Ruggeri
Seth Ruggeri
Phantom of the Badlands

Back to top Go down

Post  Rev. deBenneville Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:56 pm

The Reverend sat down beside the glass and began once again to sip his wine. Colette noticed for the first time he was slightly trembling. As he finished his cup, the trembling faded until he was still and collected. His unnerving eyes turned upon her.

"If you have nothing to say in that man's defense, I will leave him in the hands of the Lord. I myself am fine, although my clothes are a bit damaged. Honestly it matters not to me, but some parishoners worry to see bullet holes in my attire. If you could point me to a competent tailor, I would be most appreciative. If none are available, well, He clothes His priests with salvation."

Rev. deBenneville

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ruggeri Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Colette eyes the red liquor swirling about her glass. She mulls over the Reverend’s question for brief moment.

“Sorry father, but from what I hear, there hasn’t been a tailor in this town for some time. I just came here about a week ago myself. I didn’t plan on staying but my traveling funds ran dry. Of course after this I don’t see myself settling down here any longer.”

Colette downs the contents of her glass in one final gulp. As she presses her head into her palm, she considers her options. Staying in this town any longer might prove hazardous to her health. Having only been on the job for a few days she doesn’t have much money to her name.

“What the hell am I going to do now…?”

She scans over the room, hoping for a sign, something, anything to provide her with some form of guidance. Amongst the busted chairs and bottles that now covered the floor, she spots a tattered newspaper. Colette rises from her seat, picks up the discarded periodical, and glances over the front page. A picture of a rather handsome man dressed in a black jacket and with a dark wide brimmed hat graced the page. Below the picture is a caption that reads. “Liam Pearse, the Gentleman of the West, brings wealth and prosperity to the town of Little Bethlehem.” A wave inspiration of now flooding over her, she turns once again to the Reverend.

“There may not be a tailor in this town, but I’m sure you’ll be able to find one in Little Bethlehem. According to this, it’s a pretty well to do town. Who knows, I might just head that way myself soon.”
Seth Ruggeri
Seth Ruggeri
Phantom of the Badlands

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down