Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Sheet: Ethan Ramey

2 posters

:: In Character :: The Cast :: Primary

Go down

Character Sheet: Ethan Ramey Empty Character Sheet: Ethan Ramey

Post  Ethan Ramey Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Name: Ethan Ramey

Description: If not for his slightly mysterious past and his reluctance to practice medicine, the New Mexico territory might very well forget about Ethan Ramey. Those who have met him describe him as simply regular: regular height, regular weight, regular demeanor. He is actually six feet tall with a wiry frame and large blue eyes. However, his pale countenance and soft-spoken nature leave no lasting impression. Indeed, the only memorable feature most find with him is his eyes. Many settlers are unsettled by the searching nature they find through the small, wire-frame glasses he wears.

His clothes are typical attire for such a place as the West, but observant passers-by (on the rare occasions when he is out to be observed and passed-by) might note small articles of wealth on his being: this day a fancy watch; another day un-speckled loafs. A handful of townsfolk swear to have seen him in a top-hat.

Mr. Ramey keeps entirely to himself on a small settlement, without company or cattle, a far cry from any civilization whatsoever.

Bio: Born in 1842, Ethan Ramey's history is fragmented at best. Wild rumors of his life float through settlements in the New Mexico territory, and many are reported "facts," though only a small percentage of these are certifiable.

Certifiable Facts:
-Born to a wealthy family in the North.
-Attended King's College for a complete and distinguished medical education.
-Has never been involved in combat.
-Settled in a remote area of the New Mexico territory in 1871.
-Does not practice or perform medicine anymore, much to the chagrin of an area of the West still much in need of it.

Reported "Facts":
-Nephew of President Ulysses S. Grant.
-Father who abandoned his wife and children in the North.
-Brother of Allison Ramey, Madam of the busiest (and purportedly filthiest, in every sense of the word) brothel in the territory.

Wild Rumors:
-Killed his wife and children in the North and came to the New Mexico territory in an attempt to flee the law.
-Runs Allison Ramey's brothel; uses Allison Ramey as a middleman (or woman, as the case may be) to keep his name clean.
-Practices experimental medicine on captured Mexican bandits.

Other than these bits of information and misinformation, Ethan Ramey remains a mildly entertaining source of gossip for townsfolk across the New Mexico territory, although his presence is hardly felt in the area. There has been talk, however, that his presence, whether felt or not, is an insult to honest folk. Some small bands of settlers have started discussing running him out of the area, due to his reluctance to practice medicine and his Northern heritage, as well as belief in the wild rumors circulating about his past. Some men, without the ability (or courage) to fight the Mexicans, are looking instead for a fight they can win, and are starting to consider more extreme measures against him. Ethan Ramey is utterly ignorant of these plans, even as some move closer and closer to action.

Combat Ability: None

Affinity: Technology. Ethan's medical education and mentality forces him away from what he considers superstitions, such as religion and magic, and instead towards the practical. His work with various instruments leads him to a proclivity for technology, as does his fascination with anatomy (human or clockwork).
Ethan Ramey
Ethan Ramey
Reluctant Doctor

Back to top Go down

Character Sheet: Ethan Ramey Empty Re: Character Sheet: Ethan Ramey

Post  Ethan Ramey Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:38 pm

We've almost reached the point where my character will be introduced in the story, and some of these facts and rumors are going to be put straight. (Maybe not all immediately, mind you.) Before we get there, I'm just curious to see what our little community thinks about all of the gossip concerning Ethan Ramey? How much do you think is true and how much is bullshit? I hope some of it surprises you.
Ethan Ramey
Ethan Ramey
Reluctant Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Pearse Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:18 am

I'll speak up while there's still time. First off, I really liked the way you handled the character sheet; it was a great way to engage the reader, and Mr. Ramey really stuck in my head because of it.

That said, I think the reported "facts" are mostly true, except the wife and children thing is more complicated. As to wild rumors, while I wouldn't put it past Ramey to be a 19th-century sugardaddy, I don't think he's a mad scientist or deliberate murderer. Those are my predictions, and we'll see how they pan out. In fact, how things pan out may have even changed based on my predictions. Cool

I want to see the Ramey roll-out soon. I'm betting it will be epic, in more ways than one.
Mr. Pearse
Mr. Pearse
Gentleman of the West

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down